• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parts Needed:

91 K5 dash (Non Cracked)

New Here

I'm Alex,
    I was sent here by a friend and member. I live in the Grand Rapids, MI area. I love everything with motors and have been centered on ATV's, Dirtbikes and Sportbikes but decided to step it up after seeing all of my buddies go wheeling with their rock crawlers and trail rigs.

I recently picked up a 91 Blazer, that I'm going to build a Trail Truck/Dune Truck/Summer Cruiser out of. The Wife is pushing the "Summer Cruiser" part of that.

overall the truck is a super straight southern truck, Stock except for a new Exhaust and 4" lift, Has the 350 TBI with a 700R4 and I believe a 241 T Case.

Lots of ambitions for this one;
    New Paint
    Rear Cage
    LS Swap,
    Coil Conversion
    1 Tons
    Hopefully in that order.
  • Parts Needed:

Always looking for BBC parts!
    My Build Thread:
    Sparty On

Michigan men don't let other Michigan men LS it......Big Block or no block!!!

Comment

• mudpupxxx
      mudpupxxx commented
      Editing a comment
      At least with an LS it'll see the road and not be a trailer queen lol
      Welcome Alex!

• hobda1ad
      hobda1ad commented
      Editing a comment
      At least with an LS I can afford to drive it somewhere.

• Hoss blazer
      Hoss blazer commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep dreaming boys.....someday you'll grow up!

Welcome! I just want to know, if you go with an LS, why would you need the One Tons? You start putting that much weight and you will need a Big Block to get it to move! Torque is KING!

On a more serious note, welcome to another Michigander - I see you are in the land of better machine shops - I have been running my stuff to Baker or RPM because the shop I used in Gaylord closed. Not much of a travel distance difference, but it is a little longer.
    1990 GMC Jimmy (not the pretend kind) in progress - Gen VI 454 TBI/TH400/NP241 Dana 60/14 Bolt

When I die, I want to go out peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming my head off like the passengers in his car!

If you are a "Supertramp", wouldn't you give more than a little bit?

Comment

• Iggy
      Iggy commented
      Editing a comment
      I am joking about the one tons, I am a Big Block fanatic. If you are worried about mileage, might not what to consider a 6.0 - they use the same fuel/spark curve as the 8.1 Gen VII big block (496) and they both get about the same mileage. I am setting up by Jimmy to run a 7400 Vortec 454 on TBI so I can take advantage of the fast burn head and factory roller cam. The big difference between a 6.0 LS and a Vortec 454 is where (and how much) torque they make. The LS builds it's torque in the 4,000 RPM range (340 lb/ft) and the Vortec 454 builds it's torque right off idle to the tune of 500 lb/ft! All depends on how much torque you want and where you want it. Because the LS builds torque at higher RPM, they will have higher HP.

Dana 60's are getting harder to find so the cost is going up, if you are going to run 36" or larger tires you will want a Dana 60 (no matter what engine you have). 14-bolt full floaters are still cheap and easy to find, not to mention indestructible! By the time you upgrade a front 10-bolt or Dana 44 you will have more money into axle shafts than what you could buy a Dana 60 for and the 60 would still be stronger in stock form!

• Hoss blazer
      Hoss blazer commented
      Editing a comment
      As Iggy stated BBC are built for brute force in the lower rpm range and if built right into the higher. I spin my 468 up to 6K but only when I'm bogging or getting after it. LS do great in the higher rpm range its where they make the most power. Torque gets you going them horsepower keeps you going! With the heavier rigs you want all the torque you can get to get ya going....

• Sockalaminski
      Sockalaminski commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya right, in theory he spins it up to 6k. On all the videos, it's a tap of the skinny pedal and just leaves you wanting more. C'mon Hoss, show us what 6k sounds like from that beast.
  • Parts Needed:

Complete 350 MEFI setup
    My Build Thread:
    '71 K5 Build for the Wife

by the way, hobda1ad, welcome to the site. Hope you have a sense of humor and a thick backbone cause us K5BP guys don't give a shit about feelings. We eat those for breakfast.,

Comment

• Hoss blazer
      Hoss blazer commented
      Editing a comment
      100% Correct!!!

• hobda1ad
      hobda1ad commented
      Editing a comment
      Its all good. I've spent some time in the tool and die trade where a backbone, sense of humor and heavy hazing is part of the job description. Also Id prefer an uncensored opinion over a forced compliment any day. It helps me to have you guys pick apart my plans before I spend the money vs the "You should have done this to get this outcome" Nothing that I want to do to my blazer is going to be groundbreaking all the data and experience I could want is out there I just have to ask the questions.
      Last edited by hobda1ad; 03-12-2017, 06:19 AM.

• Sockalaminski
      Sockalaminski commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I'm sure you'll see a couple of "uncensored comments" in the days to come.

Welcome to the site. Don't be influenced by them big cube big block guys. I've been trying to tell them for years real trucks don't have spark plugs. My daily driver is 500hp/ 860tq and I get 17/22MPG.
    Cost aspect, you can get yourself a 6.0 truck engine for about a grand with all the wiring and ECM. Just pulled one from an Escalade for a buddy. The harness is easy to make stand alone, 3 wires to make it run but only after you remove the VATS from the system. It'll make plenty of power for what you want and have the dependability of a newer rig. IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with that. Figure to go the BBC direction, you'll have a grand just in machine shop to get it ready to assemble.
    Agree with the Dana60/14 bolt for axles. It's best to upgrade right to tons and be done with it.
    Would like to see more pics of the rig. We will definitely help you spend your hard earned money, but in the right places. There's a time to be cheap and cut costs and then there's times when you shouldn't. Like Mel said, we bust each other's balls but it's never melicious. Regardless of what anyone says, they are all good people.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	14230

As Zelda would say.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	14229

Comment

• Parts Needed:

91 K5 dash (Non Cracked)

Here's a few more pictures. Thinking about setting up a Build thread just to chronicle its life. She goes in for paint on the 20th!.
      Attached Files

Comment

What's your paint plans?

Comment

• Parts Needed:

91 K5 dash (Non Cracked)

Originally posted by greggo
          What's your paint plans?
          I'm going with a blue similar to GM's "arrival blue metallic" the cap is going to be flat black.

I got a halfway decent deal for a "baseline" job. not going to be show quality but I wasn't looking for a high end job. Just something to make it look nice. I'm sure I will bounce it off a rock or two during its life time.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Parts Needed:

Complete 350 MEFI setup
            My Build Thread:
            '71 K5 Build for the Wife

So what,? is the body rust free and good enough for paint already? What fun is that? Are the doors sagging at all? Are the door gaps perfect? These are things that should be addressed before paint.

Comment

• hobda1ad
              hobda1ad commented
              Editing a comment
              there was a small spot of rust above the wheel well that I took care of, and actually the doors are pretty squared away, the whole truck for that matter is really sound. I absolutely despise rust and I was lucky enough to find a truck that had little to none. The way I look at it, I could pay to fix the rust (Patch panels, fenders, etc.) Or pay to paint it and spend more on the fun stuff.

Am I reading this correctly, a Michigan guy with a rust free K5? Let me guess, ocean front property too? Consider yourself lucky. Not very often you can find em in that shape up there. Or around here. Or hell, anywhere anymore. Starting a build thread is a great idea. I always find it useful just as a source of reference if anything. Looking forward to seeing it freshly painted. Looks sun faded almost like it came from Mel's country. I'll take sun fade over rust holes any day.

Comment

• Snowbound
              Snowbound commented
              Editing a comment
              What's so crazy bout that? Wish they all could be California girls too but I wouldn't live there either.

I have my eye on a rig from Glendale AZ. Been talking with the guy but the cheapest shipping quote so far is $1071. If I can get it down to $950 with service fees I'm pulling the trigger. Figure it's gonna cost me $600 in fuel alone to go get it and 3 days of my life is worth the 350. Just the tub and frame. Rust free and excellent condition is what the guy said.

• hobda1ad
              hobda1ad commented
              Editing a comment
              I absolutely love Michigan from April to October, Trail riding quads, hiking, Fishing and camping the scenery and weather is awesome, November is cool but only because of Deer Season, and I'm OK with January and February because Small Game hunting picks up. I like snow for all of about 2 weeks until I've had my fill of snowmobiling and then I'm ready to move on. I Used to live out in California and I absolutely loved riding in the desert and having a dry heat, but I dislike snakes and love green forests. I'm complicated so don't judge me, you have to let my spread my wings. I also miss California girls, I think the supply of fresh crops including corn directly correlates to the changes in "Scenery"

• Hoss blazer
              Hoss blazer commented
              Editing a comment
              You mean Michigan & those other 49 states?!
          • Parts Needed:

91 K5 dash (Non Cracked)

Just thought Id throw a 6 month update here. I've done quite a bit in the last 6 months;
            Tires,
            Hood,
            Paint,
            Soft Top,
            Roll Cage.
            Random LMC exterior and Interior parts,
            And prepping for an ls swap over the winter.

I couldn't add a larger picture
            Attached Files
            Last edited by hobda1ad; 09-27-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X