Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • My Build Thread:
    GobblerK5's '91 Build

Got home from the beach and picked up my truck...my list of items to be done were all complete. One problem found...CBM must have had trouble reprogramming the cluster to my VIN as the lower steering wheel buttons still won't cycle through the settings. So I'll be calling them Monday morning...

The LEDs are bright as all get out in the dash switches, cluster and steering wheel! I need to use a black sharpie to color in the worn switches, esp the volume switch...

I didn't even know there were lights behind the blue to red fade on the temp dials...

And my buddy installed the steering stablizer that he had taken off of his truck...hint...it's the clean, non oil covered part in these pics. But it will soon have a nice coating of rust preventative (a.k.a. oil leak)...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Custom Signature Under Construction...

Comment

• My Build Thread:
      GobblerK5's '91 Build

Black sharpie didn't cover up the worn off places on the steering wheel volume button. Might try some satin black model car paint if I can find some, now that I think of that paint, I haven't seen model cars for sale in stores for quite a while? Hmmm, have to check out the toy section in Walmart next time I go...

If I'd only know LED would show thru like this I would have bought a new switch and sent it in to have the LED swapped for the incandescent bulb. New switch on Rock Auto was like $16 IIRC...

Comment

• My Build Thread:
        GobblerK5's '91 Build

Emailed back & forth with CBM all day today...appears that the cluster that was rebuilt wasn't compatible to the VIN reprogramming for steering controls.

Comment

• My Build Thread:
          GobblerK5's '91 Build

Wife wanted azaleas and rhododendrons gone from corner of the house...ain't no effing way I'm digging them up...so the crew cab yanked em out and drug them to edge of our yard where I tossed them in the woods...had her whack them down with hedge clippers first...

All done...she left the one peonie...

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Much cleaner. You lost some cover....now it's easier to see the neglected K5 rotting away behind your house.

Comment

• GobblerK5
                GobblerK5 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's not neglected...it has the Optima battery charger hooked up to it...

• greggo
                greggo commented
                Editing a comment
                Semantics...rotting away with a charged up battery
            • My Build Thread:
              GobblerK5's '91 Build

So I made a purchase for the truck today...since my rear bumper is starting to show signs of rust thru from the backside and I saw a swapped OEM bumper mod, I figured I'd start my search for a 2014 or newer Silverado rear bumper with the corner steps...

Well I was contacted by a fellow Virginian forum member over on Silverado-Sierra dot com about his bumper that he had replaced with an Offroad bumper. We made a deal and he delivered it to me today...

Got it home and cleaned it up...

Then carried it into my basement (into the AC...too hot & miserable for outdoor work) to peel some leftover plastidip from it, where he had coated it, but then peeled it off. Then I polished it...

Few pics of it back outside at the truck...dang thing shines! Gonna look pretty good on the back of my wore out Silverado!

Gotta do some research on how to mount it on my 2004 frame and acquire another backup sensor bezel and then some small LEDs to go in the sensor bezels, that will be wired into my backup lights for additional light at night for my backup camera.

I can't wait to get it installed!

Last edited by GobblerK5; 07-24-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Snowbound
                Snowbound commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, nice man step you got there. Haha. Didn't get the brackets? Frame width didn't change. I'll keep reading.
            • My Build Thread:
              GobblerK5's '91 Build

Lil bit of headliner repairs this afternoon...I was getting scared that it was gonna start resting on my head...

Pulled out the 3M adhesive that I'd used on my K5 headliner 5yrs ago...hope it's still good? Don't think this stuff expires?

At the windshield fabric was peeling back...

Mo better...

Had some sagginess above driver and passenger heads...

Made 1" slit in fabric...then sprayed the adhesive up in there...

Let the adhesive cure til it was good and tacky, then smoothed it down with my dynamat roller (another tool leftover from the K5 build)...

Much better, but not perfect...I'll let the adhesive cure, then make some more slits in the fabric and hit it again with the adhesive...

Key to this project is patience...let the adhesive dry. As you can see I didn't in a few spots and it soaked thru the fabric. Oh well, at least it's not Mr. Baggy pants anymore.

Comment

• Snowbound
                Snowbound commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm pulling mine out completely. Not a fun job. Most say thru the back window is easiest. I'm gutting interior and coming out thru the rear door. Mines not as bad as yours was but still aggravates me to no end. Saggy headliners is a pet peeve of mine.

Originally posted by GobblerK5 View Post
              Lil bit of headliner repairs this afternoon...I was getting scared that it was gonna start resting on my head...

Pulled out the 3M adhesive that I'd used on my K5 headliner 5yrs ago...hope it's still good? Don't think this stuff expires?

At the windshield fabric was peeling back...

Mo better...

Had some sagginess above driver and passenger heads...

Made 1" slit in fabric...then sprayed the adhesive up in there...

Let the adhesive cure til it was good and tacky, then smoothed it down with my dynamat roller (another tool leftover from the K5 build)...

Much better, but not perfect...I'll let the adhesive cure, then make some more slits in the fabric and hit it again with the adhesive...

Key to this project is patience...let the adhesive dry. As you can see I didn't in a few spots and it soaked thru the fabric. Oh well, at least it's not Mr. Baggy pants anymore.

I figured you would roll some POR15 on it and call it good.... lol

I'm not sure there is a good way to fix headliner, once it falls that's usually it!

Comment

• My Build Thread:
                GobblerK5's '91 Build

Yeah I'm sure that the foam is deteriorating and in due time the 3M adhesive will just pull loose as well...but for now, so far so good.

Comment

• My Build Thread:
                  GobblerK5's '91 Build

So after the LEDs went into the steering wheel, I discovered that the worn finish on the steering wheel buttons let the white LEDs show thru...

So yday, I picked up some Testors enamel in flat black and some paint brushes...to see if that would work...it's still drying in this pic...

It worked...looks great at night...

But looks like poo in the daylight, flat black wasn't a good color match and AC Moore where I got the paint was sold out of gloss black...

So if the enamel sticks, I'll get some gloss black and paint them again.

Comment

• My Build Thread:
                    GobblerK5's '91 Build

More freaking repairs...my daughter raised up the tonneau cover to put some trash in bed that I'll be dropping off OTW to work tomorrow...and she says..."Uhhh, Dad?"

The bracket on passenger side at the cab that is pop riveted to the plastic Undercover tonneau came loose...cover went sideways over the bed.

So we took the cover off and I assessed the situation...ok, just drill out old pop rivets and reinstall. I can handle that.

Reinstalled with new rivets and I glued the bracket to plastic cover and the rubber seal with some of the Loctite adhesive that I've been using in our bathroom to glue vinyl wainscoting to the walls...

Waiting on glue to cure before reinstalling cover on the truck...don't wanna glue cover to the bed rail!

Comment

• My Build Thread:
                      GobblerK5's '91 Build

My LEDs for rear bumper arrived from Amazon today. They fit in the OEM backup sensor bezels perfect....

But since I'm missing one of the OEM bezels I think I'm gonna find some stainless steel fender washers to put one on front & rear of bumper and use that as a bezel over the hole in the bumper...

I'll need a washer with O.D. bout 1.25"...

And hole in washer to be bout 1/2" dia so the stud on the LED will pass thru...

Also in my Amazon order was new reflector lens for drivers rear door that has been MIA since I bought the truck...

Waited till it was dark outside...and after supplying one LED light some power. These lil rascals are bright!

They cast out 20ft or more into my yard and that was just one of them that I skinned back wires on and held onto battery posts. Four of them on the bumper should really help the backup camera at night!

I also saw a thread where someone had mounted these on the radiator core support to light up the engine bay...so I tested that out too, plenty of light. But since they have the eagle eye lens, it does better in the distance away from light than up close under the hood for engine bay lights. But since I have 20 of these lil buggers...I'll probably get a switch to mount on core support and slap a couple under the hood as well!

Last edited by GobblerK5; 08-02-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• Snowbound
                        Snowbound commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have a bunch of them as well. I've been hoarding them to use as rock lights on the K5. They'll prob be bad by the time I'm done.
                    • Parts Needed:

Time, Money, Ambition . . . in no specific order. AND SOME GD COOL WEATHER!! But need an LS3 intake manifold.

Your latest posts about swapping LED'S for burned out encan's got me motivated to redo the lights in my dash as well, Ordered some 12V LED'S a couple of little tools from Amazon. It all gets here tomorrow so I have something to do on Saturday morning. Only doing the wheel switches and the cabin air centrals for now. If those work out how I hope they will, I will tear into the cluster. Any Lessens-learned you need to share?

Comment

• Parts Needed:

Time, Money, Ambition . . . in no specific order. AND SOME GD COOL WEATHER!! But need an LS3 intake manifold.

Other question. What color were the LED'S you used in your clusters?

Comment

Working...
                        X