Collapse

99 Denali

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I set out to do the 6.0 swap but it has a higher compression ratio. I couldn't find a decent LS1/LS6 5.7 and wasn't about to travel hours to get one. So I decided to just get a Gen IV 5.3 and do some minor things to it. I found one about an hour away from me pulled from an 06 Tahoe. I went Friday and grabbed it. Has the DBW throttle body and the evap solenoid was broke along with 2 manifold studs, but that's not a problem, I have a few things up my sleeve that would have dumped that intake and TB anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0233.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	14535

Name:	GOPR0234.JPG
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	14533

Name:	GOPR0235.JPG
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	14532

Name:	GOPR0232.JPG
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	14531

Name:	GOPR0237.JPG
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	14534

Comment

I got fucked, I think. I should have checked things better. I was under the impression that the DBW throttle bodies started in 05. So I checked engine over and everything looked complete so I loaded it and came back home. Mostly because I worked all night and was up at 3pm Thursday so I was tired and just wanted to get home to my bed. When I started looking the engine over I realized that the knock sensor wasn't on the side of the block, the cam sensor was at the rear of intake and not on timing cover, the crank sensor was black not gray so I cleaned off the serial number and there it was, it's an 03!! Strange thing is, it appears the head bolts are all the same length, I thought that is an indication of the newer block. I'll see how deep the threads are when I pull the heads. I seen the 06 Tahoe next to the engine, but I still should have investigated. I wanted the 05+ because of the rods. This sucks. To top it off it has the 862 heads. This is why I absolutely hate Craigslist a-holes. My immediate thought was, this dick may have even gave me a 4.8. Pulled a plug and stuck my scope in there and luckily it has dished pistons. The 4.8 has flat tops.

So now I know what I have and I need to do more upgrades than I wanted. Time to tear into it and send it off to machine shop. I'm gonna have it bored, honed, magnafluxed, decked, and mains line bored.

Name:	GOPR0241.JPG
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	14539

Name:	GOPR0243.JPG
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	14537

Name:	GOPR0242.JPG
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	14538

Then I test fit the swap mount adapters.

Name:	GOPR0244.JPG
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	14540

Name:	GOPR0245.JPG
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	14541

Comment

What's the deal with the rods? I think they both have broken rods with the exception of the later ones having floating wrist pins. I have 862 heads on my 5.3 and they have been good. I would ditch the DBW, get a DBC throttle body, throw in an 02 Avalanche throttle cable and call it good. Good luck man, if I can help you in any way let me know.

Comment

Ever hear size does matter? Yeah applies here too. The Gen4 rods are as you said floating piston pins. They are actually a bit smaller but I was after the rod size and shape. The "dimpled" rods are much beefier. You can see the difference in these pics.

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	14547

Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	14548

I just foind a video video that shows it. Cool.

https://youtu.be/MfALGjjklwY

And for the heads, the 862 are the smallest available. If this engine would have been a true 06 GenIV I would have better heads and stronger rods.

Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	14549

Comment

Not to mention, the piston to cylinder clearance got bigger and they coated the piston skirts. I was going to run a set of LS3 heads but I'm not sure I can. I think they are for at least a 4" bore and I'm slightly under that, even after its bored. Still trying to get a definite answer. Using LS9 head gaskets because they are MLS.

And thanks for offering to share some of your experience. I will be picking your brain on things I'm sure. Still cross referencing pin outs. Hoping my 99 harness along with the 0411 PCM will work on the engine.

Comment

Hey sorry guys for being absent for so long. My days have been running into each other with very little time for much else.

Just thought I'd update this real quick. It's over. The Denali has officially come to an end. I'm pulling interior out for Big Red and selling the rest off bit by bit. Don't worry, I'm still using a lot of my parts along with the LS on another project I picked up. I dumped the 95 Tahoe I had, picked up a Colorado that had some issues but that actually went quick. Now I'm in the process of selling a 64 Corvair Monza. I'm actually selling raffle tickets for it. $100 a wack and only selling 40 so 1 in 40 odds are pretty good.

Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	14593

Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	14594

Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	14597

Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	14595

Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	14596

Comment

The newest addition to the driveway is a Firebird that's getting a face lift in the way of a WS6 bumper hood and fenders. I'm putting the 383 in for now until I get the 5.3 back together. It's got the T56 6 speed and I need to get a tubular k member and some suspension and body stuff figured out before I start the turbo LS swap. Figured this is gonna be a lot funner than that heavy Denali. Have most parts to do the front end swap but I still need to do some paint, get some brackets and headlight buckets along with the rear hatch high spoiler. It's been sitting for a few years outside with a bad engine. Guy had it in Arizona and it over heated stuck in traffic and when he got it off the road it lost oil pressure.

ID:	14599

Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	14603

ID:	14602

Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	14600

Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	14601

So thats where I'm at. She's been on me to ride any chance we get, almost bought a new bike. I had to walk away or I would have. I've been spending money like crazy on our wedding that's coming up in September, I'm trying to flip as many vehicles as possible but it seems to take up more time than it's worth. Going tomorrow to look at, dare I say it, Fords!! Yeah, buddy of mine has a construction company and he's selling off his fleat of F250's. They have 90-100k miles on them, been maintained by his in house mechanics and I can get pick of the litter for $2000 each. So if they are any good I might grab 2-3 of them just to dump. I hate the Triton engines with their cam phaser problems but I shouldn't have to do anything besides handle titles and move them. Hopefully.

Anywho, hope everyone is doing well, I'm gonna attempt to make more of an effort to stay connected. I gotta go to sleep now tho, gotta be up in 4 hrs for work. Take care all.

Comment

• My Build Thread:
                  GobblerK5's '91 Build

I have a buddy who has the same year and color Denali and he needs a rear drivers side door...shame you're not right down the road from me...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Custom Signature Under Construction...

Comment

Well, I planned to keep some parts off the Denali but after I posted the truck for part out I was contacted by a local guy that wants to buy the truck complete minus engine. I wouldn't part with the engine because I'd never get my money out of it. We went back and forth with price and finally came to an agreement. So I had to leave it complete and I also had to repin the PCM back to the black box so it will run for him.

I gotta tell this story. When I was tuning the truck I had this loud banging noise on cold start. Sounded like the exhaust pipe was thumping against something solid. It would do it for about 3-4 seconds and then engine would smooth out and noise would be gone. Couldn't duplicate it for the life of me, only on cold start and only for that time frame. After inspecting everything for marks or any sign of contact I came to the assumption that it was very bad spark knock. I took a ton of timing out, same thing. No better or no worse. I tried pulling fuel, adding fuel, everything I could think of to get the noise to quit. I was a little worried to be honest. But it didn't make any noise after start up, even under load so it had me scratching my head. My plan was to pull engine apart after I got it out and look for any signs of knock or piston slap although it was a lot more of a banging noise than anything. This noise was a big part of the decision to LS swap it and then lead to finding another street car that was lighter.

So I started tearing into it to pull the engine. I removed the headers and looked them over again for signs of rubbing and nothing. Pulled the starter and TC inspection plate to remove the bolts. Zipped the first TC bolt out with my 3/8 impact and grabbed the next bolt with box end wrench to rotate engine around to where the starter bolts up so I can get impact on it, which allows me to grab the next bolt with wrench to rotate once more to continue the process of getting the bolts out of the TC, and the bolt tightened about a full turn before it started rotating engine. Huh, that's weird. I know they were tight and also used red loctite on them. Could this be my banging noise? TC rattling the mounting bolts in the flexplate? I got the bolts out and inspected the flexplate for oblonged holes and nothing. They were still perfectly round holes. Looked at mounting bolts and they had traces of loctite still on them and the bolts weren't beat up either. But 2 of the 3 were not tight. Not backed out, but not tight. So from there I removed the support rods that bolt thru bellhousing and attach to the plates that are sandwiched between engine mount and block. Got all the bellhousing bolts out and then pulled the one bolt on each side holding the clamshell mounts together. Put a jack and piece of wood under trans pan to support it and started to raise engine to get engine side mounts above frame mounts in order to pull engine forward to separate engine from trans, and then it happened. The support rod plate on drivers side fell to the ground before the engine was up far enough to clear frame mount. Wtf? All the bolts for the engine mount came out of the block so the engine was just resting on the mount. That's my frickin banging noise! The bolts didn't have enough room to fall out but they did when I pulled upper bracket off the mount. They too had loctite on the threads. Sum bitch. At least I know the internals of the engine are still good and I didn't have spark knock. I've never seen this before. I've seen engine mounts go bad and fan hit shroud but I've never seen the bolts back out of the block. The threaded holes are good in block, I don't know what the hell happened. The passenger side had 2 of the 3 back out but were still in the holes. The third was not tight but was still flush with mount. That would have been almost impossible to find without brake torquing the truck and watching engine and I would have never thought that's what it was. You can't see them bolts while the engine is in place. Fucking strange. Only me. It was like the Denali was having a transplant rejection.

Engine is out, PCM is just about pinned back to stock and the new owner can wire in the injector harness plug. I'm done with wiring on this thing. He's getting a shit load of new or newer parts plus my flip out radio/DVD and all the high end speakers I've put in this thing. Brand new tires and front end parts, master cylinder upgrade and new rear brake line. If I sat down and added up all my receipts I have in just the chassis I prob wouldn't sell it to him. But I gotta let go. I didn't even tell him about the puddle lights I put in. Whatever, it's an end of an era for the Denali. Bye Felicia.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9244.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.6 KB ID:	14666

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9242.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.0 KB ID:	14667

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9239.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.8 KB ID:	14664

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9240.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.4 KB ID:	14665

Last edited by Snowbound; 08-10-2017, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X