Collapse

94 Formula

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found some new tail lights so I picked them up. I’m not a fan of the 94 Formula lights. I think it looks a lot better with the newer style tail lights.

Also notice no more “formula” on the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As for the engine upgrade, I’m keeping a few things to myself. I’ve done so much homework and web searching while I should have been sleeping. I’ve scored some forged pistons and H-beam rods. I’m keeping the stock crank as of now but I’ll know for sure when I get it all balanced. I got an aluminum flywheel, twin disk clutch and a new QuickTime bellhousing. My pics are on my GoPro. I took the wiring harness and completely stripped it down and removed all the crap that isn’t going to be on the engine. I do have a pic of when I stripped it down.

I’ve talked to a guy who is semi local to me that has a 1000hp street legal WS6 and he gave me some tips and tricks. He also shared his base tune with me so I have something to work off of when I get the engine in.

One secret I will share is, the cooler you can keep your pistons and intake air, the more you can turn it up safely. So with that I set out to find a way to get piston squirters in this 5.3. I found a company that makes a jig for drilling oil passages into the block so I can install small jets to blast oil at the bottom of the piston. These are the only pics I have on my phone.

This is the jig for #1&8 cylinders with the drill bit in it. This takes the oil from the main bearing and directs some of it toward the piston. The squirter jet is small enough to not starve the bearing but big enough to cool the piston.

Here you can see the groove where the oil will be and in that groove is where the drill will make contact and go thru the main web directing oil to piston.

After it’s drilled, you run the tap in about 3/4’’ so the jet cant be pushed thru, but enough where it just protrudes the main web at the piston side. I’ll show pics when they are all done.

Close up of the jet.

Comment

There’s a few things that I never included here. Must have just overlooked them when I was putting this together. So I’ll quickly throw them in here before I transfer the older pics off my phone.

When I first got this Bird it needed tires. So I went out and got some Nitto 555R drag radials for the rear. I wanted a 315 but they had 305/35ZR18 in stock and gave me a deal on them instead of waiting.

For the front I went with Nitto 555 G2 in a 275/40ZR17.

I picked up the tires from a wholesale shop thru a friend’s account and then had them mounted and balanced at a small local shop.

They wouldn’t fit without rubbing so I had to do some messaging. I bought this fender roller and tucked the inside lip and beat on the inner tub a little to get the room needed.

Comment

While it was on stands and tires off I decided I needed to replace the rusty brakes.

The rotors did not want to slide off so I grabbed a dead blow hammer and I only gave them a tap on the rotor face and that’s when this happened.

I barely hit them. Good thing I decided to replace them. Both front rotors broke.

I removed all the calipers, sandblasted, painted and rebuilt them.

Of course I had to replace the entire front end, it’s what I do.

My plan is to upgrade to Brembo brakes when the front end comes off so I grabbed some spindles from a 98-02 Firebird because these are the pieces I’ll need for the upgrade.

More Gobbler grease. I’ve probably used more of this stuff than he has but I still like calling it that.

Comment

I’m getting ready to clean and paint the under side of this car and install the subframe connectors and that’s what made me realize I was missing some things on here. I think now I have almost all of it.

I put the car up on blocks in the rear and I still have to make blocks for the front but for now it is on stands but the stands are on the lower arms so it’s still sitting on it’s suspension so I should be good to do the frame connectors but hopefully I’ll have the blocks put together before I weld the connectors in.

A 2 post lift wouldn’t work for this because it has to be on its own weight to make sure the ties go in correctly.

I’ll get on it soon, I just have something else pushing right now because the Esky is sitting in the driveway in the cold and the Queen is not happy about it. I picked up another quick flip that needs some suspension work so I’m gonna bang this out real quick as I already have a buyer lined up.

Comment

I know a guy that has another quick flip if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockalaminski View Post
                I know a guy that has another quick flip if you're interested.
                I know. I saw it. I showed Jess and she said if I buy another vehicle before we move, she’s moving without me. 🤔

Comment

Wait, didn't you just buy her a fuckin' Caddy? She owes you bud.
                  Get your balls out of the purse. LOL

Comment

Did you tint your own windows or have a shop do them???

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss blazer View Post
                      Did you tint your own windows or have a shop do them???
                      I don’t have a tinted windshield, yet. I’m having a shop do the Caddy windshield in 50% ceramic with a 5% brow. I hate cleaning windshields, couldn’t imagine tinting one and getting it perfect with no debris trapped under it. Somethings are best left to professionals because it would take me forever and probably still not be happy.

Comment

• Hoss blazer
                        Hoss blazer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So the side windows were tinted before you got it them or there stock tinted.....

• Snowbound
                        Snowbound commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sorry Hoss, didn’t see this comment. The comments don’t show up on Tapatalk.
                        I did tint the sides. 5%. They came out good but only the second time. I bought some precut film and it was cheap crap. Scraped that off and bought a roll of better stuff and cut it in myself. Don’t remember the brand, but it’s one of them things, you definitely get what you pay for.

Originally posted by Sockalaminski View Post
                      Wait, didn't you just buy her a fuckin' Caddy? She owes you bud.
                      Get your balls out of the purse. LOL
                      Haha, yes that is true. We need to move desperately. Jack is going into high school next year, I’m tired of paying out the nose for catholic school so we need somewhere in a better school district, having one bathroom in a family of 6 sucks ass, no basement has my garage almost unworkable, having the K5 Big Red a Jeep the Firebird my truck her Caddy and 3 trailers has me so congested I’m thinking about selling off my own shit. My roof, facia and gutters are done, remodeled my laundry room and have new carpet throughout so all I have left is throw some windows in, I’m in process of rewiring the entire house because I have no grounds anywhere, putting in new breaker panel and I have to get my bathroom done so I can at least get a decent buck for this house in order to upgrade. I would love to have your K5, just too much shit going on right now. My truck still needs a trans and I’m gonna lose my deposit if I don’t get moving on that soon but I have nothing else to drive because she decided to kill the Equinox. Probably end up buying another flip to drive while I get trans done. My head is spinning just thinking about this shit again.

Comment

Something else to mention about this LS engine I’m rebuilding. A buddy of mine, Joe DeYoung, has a G-body Regal that had a 5.3 with a turbo and he swapped to a 6.0 a while back but has since went to an LSX block. I was talking with him and he wanted my pistons and rods. Come to find out the rods were 6.125” long and wouldn’t even fit my 5.3. A small detail that I overlooked when I bought them because I got a hell of a deal. So he got them put in his engine. Here’s a video from when he went to Orlando for Big Rim Super Bowl.
                        First race he said he was all over the scramble button because he got dusted off the line. Ended up winning the whole deal.

https://youtu.be/Xog3zmbpziE

Anyway, I wanted to share this. The newer LS 6.2 engines are known as the LT engine. The supercharged LT 6.2 engine comes with beefier rods than the GenIV which can support up to 900hp. Problem is GM advertises these rods as a 6.125” long rod. That puts me in the same boat I was in with the H-beam rods I had. But as I’m looking at the specs of the new SC LT 6.2, it doesn’t appear to have the same specs as the tall deck LSX engine so I was skeptical. I found a brand new set of rods for that engine for $130 and rolled the dice. Guess what, they lied. Why? Why would GM advertise these rods as 6.125” when they are identical to the 5.3 rods that came out of my engine at 6.098”? Great secret to keep I guess. These LT rods will hold up to 1200hp. They have more meat in areas that matter and also the top where the pin goes thru is wider at the bottom of the wrist pin hole and will support more down pressure. So I needed some pistons that had a tapered connecting rod opening at the wrist pin. I couldn’t find any aftermarket forged pistons that were for a LT 6.2 but had the same bore as a 5.3. But I did find some 5.3 pistons that had the tapered rod opening. At $100 for a brand new set, I went with it. They have coated skirts but are not forged. That’s ok, being my first boosted LS engine, I’m sure I’ll grenade it anyway. Besides, I plan on shooting it with methanol injection and running on E85 to keep temps down and knock at a minimum.

So here’s one of the best known secrets out there for anyone wanting to boost their LS but don’t want to pay $800 for a set of H-beam rods. I haven’t told anyone about this yet, I wanna see how this all balances out and check protrusion first. Then I’m gonna buy a few sets before the price goes up because others find out they have a better option than GenIV rods.

The other pics are on my GoPro, I’ll get more when I get home.

Last edited by Snowbound; 01-17-2019, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• Hoss blazer
                          Hoss blazer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep kinda like the aka "thumb" truck rods for Big Blocks!
                      Working...
                      X