Collapse

94 Formula

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also wanted to add that I had to change rear hatch lift shocks and I also tinted the side windows to 5%. I’m not tinting back window. I found a complete rear hatch that I’m gonna get. It has the high rear spoiler and it’s all together so I’ll get that and tint that one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FA5DE376-17EE-4BBF-BFA8-71548DB34B65.png
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	14803

This guy must have a few of these cars and is stripping them because I ended up talking to him again when I called about this front bumper cover.

Name:	2B807573-F269-4588-8037-4243AED28DE7.png
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	14802

I worked out a deal with the guy for both parts. I’m not totally committed to transforming the front end to the newer style but making it a package deal, I know I can at least recoup the $250 for the bumper cover. Then I

Came across some leather seats that are suppose to be decent shape. Wouldn’t you know it, same guy. We agreed on $700 for all this I gave him a $100 deposit and he verbally confirmed via email so I just have to make the ride to go get this stuff.

Name:	7DBDA3EA-4C7D-48EE-99DD-4DABD3AF3BC9.png
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	14804

I almost had a nice WS-6 hood for $100 but I was 2 hrs too late. I’ll find one soon enough. I’m not swapping the front end until I do the engine swap because I need to make bumper supports anyway because the factory supports are too bulky and big to fit an intercooler in the front end.

And then I found this local to me. I need these tail lights. I might go get them today.

Name:	E81E1A1E-BE0C-4138-A6E4-D485245B1A43.png
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	14805

Comment

Been driving the Firebird on decent days and every time I drove it I had to top off the coolant. Seemed like it kept burping and didn’t want to purge the air out. Then I noticed it had another coolant leak from somewhere in the back of the engine. Figured it had to be the steam line off the back of the heads. The heat didn’t work so I started with that. I used compressed air to blow any crap out of heater core and I had to work at it and finally got that cleared out. So much stop leak was in there, I hate that stuff. I know this little steam line had got to be plugged too so I went in after it.

Can’t get to the back of the engine so I decided it was in my best interest to remove the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The passenger side pass thru bolt came out and that’s when I noticed how plugged it was.

Thought I had a pic of it but I guess I don’t. But here’s the steam line where that bango bolt passes thru.

The drivers side was another story. It wouldn’t budge. I tried putting some heat in the head to get it to free up without any luck. The head finally rounded off and I started getting creative to get this thing out.

My trusty extractor socket has never let me down. I’ve removed rounded exhaust manifold bolts along other stuff with this thing.

It wouldn’t fit in there, it hit the damn firewall. So my fix was to dent the firewall in a little to gain clearance.

I couldn’t get enough pressure on the socket to get it to grab the bolt. I tried a small pipe wrench, vise grips, and even some hog jaw pliers and nothing would work. That’s when I said screw it and pulled out the welder and welded a nut to the bolt head and was able to wrench it out.

Comment

While I had the intake off I decided to go ahead and clean the throttle body and put some new gaskets in it. The throttle body has a coolant passage that supposedly is there to warm the intake air in cold weather. Don’t want it, don’t need it so I bypassed the coolant hoses and cleaned all the stop leak out of it. It was plugged solid, same as the steam line.

I decided to ditch the EGR valve and hose while I was in this deep. No emissions anyhow. I was gonna make some block off plates for the intake and exhaust manifold. While removing the pipe from the manifold, the damn bolt broke off. I wasn’t about to pull the manifold. If I had done that I would have had to buy full length headers which would mean I would have to redo the exhaust and that would be throwing stupid money at an engine that I don’t plan on keeping anyway. So I found that a 3/8 NPT pipe tap would give me enough threads to just put a pipe plug in it. It’s way down in the back and it about killed me laying on top of the engine trying to tap the hole. The pipe tap I had was a starter tap and it bottomed out in the hole before giving me any good threads to install the plug. I had to get a different tap to give me the threads to install the plug. I put grease on the tap to catch the shavings and it worked.

The back of the heads were a 1/4” NPT thread so I ordered some 1/4 to -6an fittings in a 90*. I also ran a tap in the holes and also had to chase the threads on the fittings with a die to get them to go in more than 3 threads.

Comment

After getting the fittings installed I made up some -6an hoses and had to pick up a tee to attach one side to the other and then run that to the radiator so this thing would actually purge the air and do what it’s suppose to do.

You know me, I had to blast the intake and give it a fresh coat of epoxy black paint.

I also blasted the hardware and gave it a shot of cast aluminum engine paint cuz it’s what I had laying around.

Installed the intake and put everything back together. 2mrw I’ll grab some antifreeze and refill it and hopefully I’ll be able to drive it for a couple more weeks before they start throwing salt. Then it’s time to pull the engine and start the good shit.

Comment

Working...
            X