Air compressor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air compressor

My compressor finally took a shit last Thursday. Blew the pump and sent shrapnel all over the floor. I've had this loud ass oilless 6hp 60 gal compressor since 99 and bought it from some guy that was getting a divorce for $300 so I guess it's served me well for 16 years.

I've decided I'm going with a 2 stage compressor. I searched craigslist and couldn't find anything that wasn't over priced or that wasn't industrial 3 phase. Guess I'm buying new. Pulled the trigger on a 2 stage 80 gal Craftsman. This thing should do me well considering I'm going to be bringing my sandblast cabinet back home and my oilless compressor couldn't keep up with blasting cabinet or the soda blaster. Should have it by Friday or Saturday.

• Parts Needed:

Complete 350 MEFI setup
    My Build Thread:
    '71 K5 Build for the Wife

Sweet!, are you going to pipe in the extra 60 gallon tank as a reserve for the blasting operations? You can put it on a valve so you only fill the 60 gallon when you need the extra capacity.

Comment

• Snowbound
      Snowbound commented
      Editing a comment
      I already have a 75gal fiberglass tank set up for that. Has a check valve so I hook cabinet and soda blaster up to that when I'm using them. I might keep the 60 gal tank and use it up north because we only have a 30 gal up there.
  • My Build Thread:
    GobblerK5's '91 Build

You guys have all the cool toys and shops to work in...my gravel driveway is the best that I can do.
    Custom Signature Under Construction...

Comment

• Sockalaminski
      Sockalaminski commented
      Editing a comment
      18 years ago before I bought my house, I had an apartment with a gravel driveway to work on. When I went house shopping, a shop and 2 car garage was a must. There was only one on the market that day and I bought it. Funny part is I now owe almost twice what I paid for the house in '97. The uhhhh..........cost of having all the cool toys.

• Snowbound
      Snowbound commented
      Editing a comment
      I put in my fair share of working on gravel. I never had anywhere or the tools to work except for my dads growing up. He only had a gravel driveway until I bought my first house. Then he decided to concrete his.

I used to feed my family from swingin wrenches. At that time it took forever to acquire tools for work and home. I worked out of an old craftsman box for the longest time and then once I was able to purchase a new box for work I was excited to have that old craftsman at the house. I'm pretty fortunate that once I hung up my tools for a living, I more than doubled my home tools. I cringe at the thought of what I've invested in tools. And seems like they walk away faster at home then they did at work. Not to mention the box of broken tools that need exchanging but not seeing the Mac, Matco, SnapOn, and Pro Caliber guys on a weekly basis, they just sit. I need to catch these guys now that I remind myself of this.

Be thankful Gobbs. You only have to lay in the gravel when your stuff needs repair. And it's not worth the cost of concrete just so your creeper can roll. I use cardboard more than anything and I have a $400 creeper. Hahaha.

• Hoss blazer
      Hoss blazer commented
      Editing a comment
      I here ya there!
  • Parts Needed:

Parts Wanted: Parts For Sale:

Your gonna like that. I bought my 5hp 2 stage Craftsmen about 1989. Has served me well and still running.

Comment

• Snowbound
      Snowbound commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know Mark. Says pump life expectancy is 1500 hrs. I was thinking I put more hours in each year at work than that. Good thing I don't have a 1500 hour expectancy. I do tell people I give 110% to work. What I don't tell them is its 20% each day M-F and 5% each day for weekend.

Little update on my compressor. I held off having it delivered a week. So it'll be here 2mrw. I wanted to upgrade my electric in garage first. This was my fuse panel for a 3.75 car garage! Obviously the previous owner just parked his stuff in here and never worked on stuff. I could tell that by the garage floor.

Here's the exploded compressor. Hahaha. It really just blew apart. I didn't touch anything here. This is what it looked like when I took covers off and removed from tank.

So I grabbed an old GE panel from work a while ago wanting to do this upgrade. I couldn't find the main breaker. It's a 125A service, maybe a little overkill for what I need considering I only have 100A coming into the house. I had to side feed the panel for now until I get a new main breaker.

So I found a 100A panel for $50 with main breaker brand new. Can't get ahold of the guy and I need to get this in. Menards sells same one for $65 so I might just go that way if I can't get ahold of this retard. I'm piping some 3/4" rigid conduit from house to garage because the romex running in a pipe from house to garage underground will not pull. Then I have some #3 wire to feed with. I might have to put a sub panel in house and feed sub panel from meter and then have 2 100A breakers, one feeding house and one feeding garage. I thought about just tapping the garage feed off the top of house panel but double taps are against code and I want it safe. I will eventually upgrade house panel to a 200A service. So now I'm pulling out this panel I just put in and a buddy is coming over some can hit the dirt track tonight. Compressor will be here 2mrw and I'm not ready as usual.

Hey Mark, I kow your buddy is waiting for these fuel tank mounts, but I've been without air to get rivets out. I'm working on it buddy.

Comment

Guess what showed up this morning. Now I feel whole again.

Comment

• Parts Needed:

Complete 350 MEFI setup
        My Build Thread:

Damn, that's a nice one.

Comment

• Duke4az
          Duke4az commented
          Editing a comment
          And she looks like she can put out a serious blow job as well . . . 16.3 SCFM @ 100 psi.

• Sockalaminski
          Sockalaminski commented
          Editing a comment
          RIGHT! My 60 gallon Husky is 11.3 CFM at 90psi. The only tool I have that it can't keep up with is the blast cabinet. That's where you notice the difference.

I'm hoping I'll notice a difference. Blasting is where mine fell short.

This thing is heavy as hell, I'm glad I paid the $60 for delivery. My old one stayed bolted to its shipping pallet it's whole life, so I'm doing the same for this one.

Went to Menards and bought a new panel. I went with one without main breaker. Just has the buss bars since I have a breaker in house that protects wires going to garage and garage panel. I could have kept the old one I got from work and kept it side fed but I didn't like that. This is a lot cleaner and gives me 12 circuits vs 8 in the other one.

Compressor is moved into place and is running with no load, no piping on compressor yet, for break in. It's gotta run for 30 minutes this way. It's actually not that loud. I'll get a video.

Comment

its not quiet but less noisy then the oilless one.

Comment

• Parts Needed:

Complete 350 MEFI setup
            My Build Thread:

I mounted mine on rubber isolators and the difference in noise level was dramatic. I also noticed a lot of the noise comes from the intake. I'm planning to pipe my intake to outside air through the wall with a nice air filter on it.

Comment

• Snowbound
              Snowbound commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea. I may do the rubber isolators also. They had a kit at Sears for that. I just had no way of picking up the compressor and taking it off the pallet, buddy has my engine hoist. I will not drill mine to the floor. I planned on putting my oilless compressor in a shed that I was gonna build on the side of the garage. Don't think I'll do that to this one. It'll be better in a heated garage in winter. But the intake idea is a good one.

The other day I was getting moisture from my air line while running impact. Looked at my filter/separator and sure enough, was full of water. I forgot I pulled my deltec off the coil one day we were having a drunk fest in garage because it scared the crap out of a couple people. For those that don't know, a deltec is a timer valve that drains moisture from tank. Can set time off up to 45 minutes and time on up to 10 seconds. I have the time off at 45 min and on at 1 sec. Anyway, slipped coil back onto valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	13226

Then I decided to repipe the line out. I didn't have a valve before filter for some stupid reason so I had to drain tank completely to clean filter. I could have just drained out the water without removing but what the hell. It's got a valve now. Then on bottom of regulator I put a quick coupler for dry air which will be tee'd for air to secondary tank.

Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	13225

Because I'm tired of constantly oiling my tools and honestly forget most times, I installed an oiler I've had for some time that never used. I barely have it set open so it's like a drip every 7 seconds of continued use. Only thing that sucks is I'm going to have to use 2 different air lines. One for tools and one for dry air.

Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	13227

If you've noticed the tee coming off compressor, the bottom is gonna be 3/4'' for a feed to a 1/2'' air line reel that I got from my dad. That will be my feed for painting. I have a 3/4'' filter/separator and regulator but I still need to pick up a quality dryer. That will be coming soon.

In the middle of the garage next to my tool box is the secondary air tank. I have a second 3/8'' reel off that. I just picked up a 3/8'' 90* swivel that I need to swap out instead of the straight coming off reel. I'm not sure if I should do a filter/separator and or dryer off this one. I plan on setting my blast cabinet near this but need that piped in at least 1/2''. I'll deal with that later. I've been working on Denali and needed to solve the garden hose that's my air line problem before using tools again and of course not enough fittings so I "borrowed" what I could from work and just got air running again. Back to work, I'll update when I decide what to do with this second reel and hang my 1/2'' reel.

Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	13228

Comment

• Parts Needed:

Parts Wanted: Parts For Sale:

Love your compressor! Wondered what your using to plumb your air line with? I've read that metal pipe verses rubber or plastic carries less moisture in your air. Also go at least about 10 or 15 feet then stall your air filter to trap water. Spend the money on a good water trap filter. I've my Craftsmen compressor on its shipping pallet since I bought mine in 1989. LOL Actually thought about getting busy and run some hardline back to my bench. Now that I see this I might get busy.

Comment

• Zelda
                Zelda commented
                Editing a comment
                Right, Just another online dumb ass. . .

• Sockalaminski
                Sockalaminski commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm, I don't know if your talking about me, you or obviously Snow, but if it's steel or copper, I think we have nothing to worry about.

• Snowbound
                Snowbound commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, I resemble that remark!

Zelda- if you look at the sideways pic of secondary tank and reel, you can see the black plastic tubing feeding it on top. It's pretty heavy wall but I doubt it'll stay. I hate the compression fittings that have to be used on it. Only 2 though, one at each end. It's a 1/2'' line, but I'll prob go with 3/4'' black iron. Not real worried about that moisture getting to secondary tank. Feed for tank is after filter/separator and there's also a deltec on bottom of that tank too. Although it would be nice to catch any moisture or rust before it hits tank. Secondary tank is fiberglass. It was actually used for a single post lift, half filled with hydraulic oil and air pressure on top pushed oil into cylinder to raise lift. I scored 2 of them from Wilco when they upgraded their shop. I also got one of their old 2 post lifts but had no where to put it so I had to let it go. Kicking myself now.

Sock- copper? No way I would spend that kinda coin for an air line. And as far as dealing with leaks after install, first, can't be such a puss arm. Tighten that bitch with some pipe dope. Second, that's what they make unions for. I always use unions before a 90 so I can tighten or incase I need to add a tee to line.

Also Mark, house up north was done in PEX. Made it super easy to repair. When I did the water heater I bought a bunch of shark-bite fittings and it was as easy as pushing the lines together. Them fittings are nice because you can attach any type of line to another. Copper to PEX, PEX to galvanized, CPVC to copper, copper to galvanized, you get the idea. Pricey but worth it, especially when the shit is sitting up there with no one around even thou I would turn off water heater and pump. Bladder tank would always hold pressure. It's right when you walk in house from garage and before I would turn pump on I would look at it. Only one time it had no pressure still on it, but that was when thermostat screwed up and no heat= exploded toilet. That sucked.

Comment

Working...
              X