Wiper switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper switch

Does anyone know if you can install an 86 type wiper switch into a 79 column? The 79 had the switch on the dash and i'm hoping i can make the change and save myself some money by not having to buy another column(which i can then use for new doors---which i may have found locally---waiting on a message back from the seller as to the condition of them)
  • Parts Needed:

Complete 350 MEFI setup
    My Build Thread:
    '71 K5 Build for the Wife

You are referring to the wiper switch on the turn signal handle? I think it would be worth a shot if you have the handle and don't have to buy it. They ain't cheap, well at least the good ones. I would look at the 86 turn signal circuit and make sure the switch isn't interfacing with a controller. I'm not sure whether or not it can handle the full load of the motor.

Did I provide an answer or more questions? Now that I looked back at what I just wrote, it would be safe to say I have no frickin' idea if it will work......but I'd try it.

Comment

Well, i don't have one of the switches around. I'd have to buy it. You raise a good point about checking the wiring to see about any controller. So, an answer with more to think about is what you gave me. More input is always good to have. Thanks Sock

Comment

• Parts Needed:

Always looking for BBC parts!
        My Build Thread:
        Sparty On

Did you old switch go bad or something? What's the reasoning to switch it to the column....

Comment

You will prob have to switch out the entire column. I don't think the multifunction switch with the integrated wiper control will fit in correctly. I'm not 100% though. Maybe head over to the parts store and see if they have both and put your peepers on them and look for any signs that it will or will not work. Be cautioned, most parts stores do not allow returns on electronic components. But maybe if you explain what your trying to accomplish they might make an exception as long as you don't screw it up. It's definitely worth a try.

Edit: thinking about it, the plug on the end of the multifunction switch will most likely be completely different. I can't remember if it's just a longer flat circuit board looking thing and maybe the wiper part is a separate plug. But I think the plugs hook together and then the circuit board plug slides into them. Oh hell, now I'm gonna have to go look.
          Either way, your gonna need the truck harness side of the plug and wire it in to make it work. Wouldn't be too hard I wouldn't think. Just a matter of splicing it into your existing wiring.
          Last edited by Snowbound; 05-05-2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss blazer View Post
            Did you old switch go bad or something? What's the reasoning to switch it to the column....
            The newer cab that i'm using doesn't have the hole in the dash for the wiper switch. That section of the steel dash is differently shaped and cut out, with the headlamp switch being more centered instead of being below the wipers. So having the wipers on the column makes it much easier than trying to cut/weld that section of dash. I'd rather adjust the wiring, as Snowbound has suggested that i'll need to do

Comment

Working...
            X