10 to 14 swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 to 14 swap

Finally getting around to swapping the semi float 14 bolt into Denali. Last time I drove it the brake pedal was pretty low. I've never done back brakes because I planned on getting rid of that 10 bolt. I think they are finally worn so low that the pedal is at the bottom of its travel. Either way, I need to change brake fluid and rear axle so it's finally time.

Looking for a disk brake bracket to go on this axle. I'm gonna see if the full floater bracket is the same. Appears that it possibly could be. Also the spring width appears to be the same. 47" on this axle that was in my 97 K1500 and 47" on the Denali. Thought I was gonna have to move perches. Hopefully a conversion U-joint is all I'll need to do as far as driveshaft. This 14 sticks forward more than the 10, fingers crossed that I don't have to shorten shaft.

Thinking about lowering it also while I'm at it. 4" would be nice. Still searching that and what's all involved.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	11455 Click image for larger version

Views:	2
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	11451 Click image for larger version

Views:	1
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	11450 Click image for larger version

Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	11453 Click image for larger version

Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	11452
    Attached Files

It's been 12 years since I put the Eaton carrier and gear in this axle. After opening it up and looking at it, it was like a trip down memory lane. I thought I would have to open it back up at one point to adjust because I actually set it on the tight side thinking it would wear in. Never had any issues with it. Never made noise and always clutched in and spun posi. This carrier was $700 when I bought it. Gonna be taking it out and swapping gears to a 4.56 set I bought. I wanted to go 4.10 but I think with a bigger set of rims and tires, it'll work just fine. 3.23 10 bolt to 4.56 14 bolt, this thing is really gonna eat from the stop light. Don't worry guys, I bought a 4.56 for the front too but I need to scavenge the carrier from center section off my 97. I'm pretty sure the carrier break was 3.55, I know I bought both front and rear carriers for Big Red when I did the gear swap.

Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	11459 Click image for larger version

Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	11460

In the the market for disk brake conversion for this axle. Also looking for C-clip eliminators if they're available. The bracket for the full floater mounted to the flange but not having hubs like its full floater big brother, I don't think they'll work. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a weld on bracket.

Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	11461

Comment

• Iggy
      Iggy commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not believe there is a break on the 14 bolt SF, all ratios use the same carrier.

• Snowbound
      Snowbound commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe it was the front I'm thinking of? It's in my brain that one of the carriers I bought had a break. I could be thinking of something else. Hell, this is 12 years ago I'm talking about, I can't remember this morning for crying out loud.

Some technical data I've found

Wheel Mounting Surface (WMS)
    - 4wd (OBS) 14 bolt, 67.5"
    - 2wd (OBS) 14 bolt, 64.5"
    - 4wd and 2wd? (NBS)10b, 68.5"
    Spring perch width:
    - NBS, ~49" center to center
    - OBS 14b, ~47" center to center
    Shock mount width:
    - NBS 10b, ~28"
    - Close to the same on OBS 14bolt, ~28"?
    Yoke:
    - 14 bolt yoke, 1350
    - 10 bolt yoke, R3 SS4
    U-Joint:
    - If your driveshaft is a 1330, then you need a 1330 to 1350 conversion U-joint.
    - If your driveshaft is a 1310, you need the 348 conversion U-joint (1310 to 1350)
    - If your driveshaft is an R3 SS4, you need the 447 U-Joint (ss4 to 1350)
    - For most people, I'm guessing the ones with the two piece steel driveshafts, you need the 447.
    Breather Hose:
    - 14b, 5/16"
    - 10b, 1/4"
    Bolts 14b:
    - Diff cover, 8x1.25x18mm
    - Axle flange, 1/2x20x1"
    Capacity:
    - 14b, 2.5 quarts
    - 10b, 2.5 quarts

Comment

Working...
    X