Dana 44 Front axle with 10-bolt hubs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 Front axle with 10-bolt hubs

While crawling under the 1977 K20 this weekend, we noticed something very weird - the truck actually has a Dana 44 axle hosing, but the hubs are 10-bolt 8 lug hubs! Being a 1977 I expected to see a 10-bolt axle and I thought that was what was there based on the rotor/hub assembly. I am assuming that some 10-bolt parts are interchangeable with the 1/2 ton Dana 44 (or how could this be), what I would like to know is which parts? I have a friend going though the Dana 60 for me and will be replacing the front axle anyway, but we will be putting this Dana 44/10-bolt combo on the 1981 for my son and would like to know what parts are there as we will be rebuilding before we put on the truck.
    1990 GMC Jimmy (not the pretend kind) in progress - Gen VI 454 TBI/TH400/NP241 Dana 60/14 Bolt

When I die, I want to go out peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming my head off like the passengers in his car!

If you are a "Supertramp", wouldn't you give more than a little bit?

I believe the spindle out is interchangeable if I remember right. 1/2 ton / 3/4 ton dana 44 is the same axle with different hubs. The bearings and spindles should be the same.

Comment

Update with some questions for the Dana 44 guys. I did some research and checked the numbers on the axle, that is the original axle and it is correct having the 8 lug hubs for a 10 bolt. What this makes wonder, my 1970 K 20 Suburban has a Dana 44 HD with the Spicer hubs and drum brakes - the hubs are worn out and do not work, need to be replaced. I want to convert to disc brakes up front for safety reasons. Am I able to convert this to disc brakes if I use the parts I have from a 1979 K20 10 bolt front with HD brakes? If I can, what parts should I transfer?
      1990 GMC Jimmy (not the pretend kind) in progress - Gen VI 454 TBI/TH400/NP241 Dana 60/14 Bolt

When I die, I want to go out peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming my head off like the passengers in his car!

If you are a "Supertramp", wouldn't you give more than a little bit?

Comment

• Parts Needed:

Complete 350 MEFI setup
        My Build Thread:
        '71 K5 Build for the Wife

Here is the Dana 44 service manual. It should have all the part numbers and info you need to do the conversion. If I remember right the Dana 44 had smaller spindles up until the mid 70's but I think there are bearings and seals made to do the conversion. It's been awhile since I did the research so I may be wrong.
        Dana 44 Service Manual

Comment

You should be able to convert that over. You will need to change from the knuckles out. Drum brake knuckles are different than disc knuckles. You will also need the 10 bolt tie rod. I'm not positive but the stub axle may be different also.

Comment

Working...
          X