Collapse

Sock's 25th Anniversary Edition 1984 Bronco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that makes perfect sense Mel. That and the GM distributor runs better than the Ford engine and can't keep up. Hahaha. Them 300's are good engines. I didn't know you could get them in the Bronco. Maybe that's why OJ's chase wasn't a high speed pursuit. I didn't know using the GM distributor was even an option, I think running the Duraspark would get you better power and mileage. But if it's running and driving and more importantly, Lisa is happy, put a fork unit for now and let's get moving on the scooter or the 71. Hahaha

How did the intake seal up? I take it everything worked out? Obviously. Were you able to just loosen everything and slide it back or did you have to take it all back apart? Either way, all your hard work has paid off once again and besides a little tire rash the Bronco is back on the road. Good job bro.

Comment

• Sockalaminski
      Sockalaminski commented
      Editing a comment
      I only had a vacuum leak on #4 around the front and top of the port. Permatex Ultra Blue. I cut a fine hole in the dispenser and ran a micro bead around the port and pushed it in with my finger and let it sit for 24 hours. Sealed up nicely.

• Snowbound
      Snowbound commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet. Glad you got ahead of it.

So, the ol' Bronco has been running well, but since we got it, the charging system has always been lacking at night time. The alternator only kicks out around 11.6 to 11.8 volts at idle with the air, headlights and stereo on. No matter what I did, new alternator, regulator, battery, (all these items failed at some point over the last 2 years) it would work well for a couple weeks then right back down to the low voltage. I suspect it was either a grounding issue or a corroded splice. There were several in the stock harness. Since I updated to HEI, we haven't been able to drive at night due to the ignition failing because of low voltage every time we stop. So, today I bit the bullet and bought a Ford 3G 130A alternator and installed it. I had #2 welding cable so that's what it got for the charging cable. Upon starting, the voltage immediately ran up to 14.6 volts then settled around 14.1 at idle with every single accessory and headlights on / running. I'll strike this one up as a success. I didn't bother taking any pictures because well, it's a Ford........

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	b6_zpsafee8d37.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	9268
      1981 Blazer (before there were mini-blazers) in progress - Gen VI 454 TBI/TH400/NP241 Dana 60/14 Bolt

When I die, I want to go out peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming my head off like the passengers in his car!

If you are a "Supertramp", wouldn't you give more than a little bit?

Comment

• caveman
        caveman commented
        Editing a comment
        ^ That's funny!

• Sockalaminski
        Sockalaminski commented
        Editing a comment
        That is funny.

The Bronco took a shit back in December just before Christmas. I didn't bother looking at it, I just shoved it on the side of the house and left it there since it was due for emissions within a week I wasn't worried about it. I had Christmas, the job in Tucson, among other things to deal with. Then when I was ready to work on it, the house fell apart and I worked on the remodel for 6 months. Then I started working on the Blazer and there it still sat. Well, today, I went out and started looking at it. I'd determined the spark was the issue and damned if it wasn't that junkyard free pocket item relay I installed for the HEI. When I bypassed it, the damn thing fired right up. Sucks that the A/C isn't blowing cold anymore though. I'll have to look at that. When it stopped running, the A/C was so cold, you couldn't run it on high for more that 10 minutes (Still had R12 in it).

I had a few things still left to do from the exhaust conversion before I can take it through emissions. They check that the A.I.R. pump is present and hooked up, but they don't check it for operation so I have to put that back on. I don't remember how it bolted in so I'll be looking for pics for that part. The hard part was the EGR connection. When I had the EGR disconnected last time through, it failed because the exhaust temp was too hot. There's no way around it, it has to be there and functional. When I went to the two piece exhaust manifold, the EGR connection was broken as the manifolds no longer bolt to the intake. I had an epiphany, natural gas line. They are made of stainless, use JIC fittings which are easy to convert to pipe thread and are able to make some crazy tight bends due to the way they are made. I'm not sure if the epoxy finish will stand up but who cares? I drilled and tapped the EGR plug that came with the manifold and also drilled and tapped the block off plate I made for the bottom of the intake manifold where the exhaust manifold use to bolt up. Took a little more than an hour + $24 at Home Depot and we have EGR connection once again.

Once I find a pic of the rubber lines to connect the AIR pump, I'll get this thing through emissions and get it up for sale. I should be able to get $3500-$4000 for a rust free unmolested 84 Bronco I would think. Gotta get some funds together to finish up that Blazer. It's getting hungry again.

Comment

• Snowbound
        Snowbound commented
        Editing a comment
        As long as it gets you thru emissions. Just put a bloody glove on the floor and eBay that thing off.

• David
        David commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice job. I can't get you a diagram for the air pump if you haven't found one by Tuesday. Maybe you could scrounge up some r-12 just to charge it back up till you can get it sold. If not just screw some r134 adapters on there, vacuum it down and charge it with 85% of the normal charge ounces and call it a day.

• Replicant
        Replicant commented
        Editing a comment
        I found the diagram this morning. It's all hooked up except for the cat connection. I had already ran it and the cat was too hot to work on. Tomorrow, I'll be screwing around with it some more to get it running better and tuned, then hit the emissions house on Tuesday. Lisa will then be driving it until it's sold. Then we'll decide if the money will go into the Blazer or a small commuter car with really good mileage. We need something nice to carry the grandbaby around. I said "What's wrong with the Scooter?" That didn't go over very well.

OK, so I got everything connected and working. The ECM on this '84 is non-functional and this is a bad thing since the EGR is controlled via PWM (pulse width modulation) with a solenoid. The result is bypass the solenoid by grounding it to a full on situation. Unfortunately, around 1500 rpm, the engine is generating 15 lbs of vacuum which in turn is producing full EGR and ruining combustion. It's a bad driving experience. EGR disconnected results in snappy throttle response and good idle. Here's the thing, before when it had a burnt out cat and restricted exhaust, the NOX was really high and exhaust temp was too hot but connecting the EGR was enough to cool it off and get it though that year. After the exhaust upgrade/replacement, is it a problem? The in side of the cat at 2500 rpm is around 600* and out is around 750*. NOx forms at combustion temps over 1500*. The cat seems to be burning off the emissions and doing it's job as the exhaust doesn't smell of raw gas or burn my eyes but is the NOx low enough to pass? I'll find out tomorrow. I'm disabling the EGR for the first test to see if the CAT is enough by itself. I get a freebie if it fails so in that case, I'll limp it in with the EGR connected. If it still fails, I think i can pay a shop to get it to pass for around $260 flat fee. I'm pretty sure they cheat, but who cares, right? It's a 33 year old truck that shouldn't be tested anyways.
      Arizona!

Comment

I saw an 84 Bronco with a slanted soft top on my local Craigslist tonight for $900...I was bored and just scrolling thru all vehicles that were posted. Also saw a cool 64 GMC C10...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Custom Signature Under Construction...

Comment

Bammmm Baby! The ole Bronco flew through emissions with less than half the allowable limits. Turned out the problem wasn't the EGR after all. It was the vacuum advance on that damn aftermarket distributor I bought. Disconnected the vacuum advance and she ran batter than ever before I think. Went through with theEGR plugged in. They put it on a dyno and drive it up hill down hill with deceleration and so forth for up to 4 minutes. The guy drove up one hill and half way down and the test quit about 25 seconds in. My first thought, Shit! now what? Then the guy got out and said "That's a good sign". I had a sigh of relief, then they tested the tank and cap and sent me on my way.

Comment

Craigslist here we come!

Or maybe it should go to Mecum's Auction block?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Custom Signature Under Construction...

Comment

I guess I forgot to update this. A week after i passed emissions, I went to get the A/C working again. The low side schrader valve was leaking and had no cap. This is an operational R12 system and blew ice cold. I found 2 cans of Igloo R12 on CL for $50 8 miles from the house. I sent my son to pick it up and he took the Bronco. It died. Had it towed and parked it. I looked at it yesterday, determined it was the POS Chinese distributor. I pulled it and put the original electronic one back in and away it went. Started right up. It has no balls now because the ECM ain't talking and it has no advance. I have to take it through emissions before December since the tags I got for it were only good for four months. Have to test every year. I hope it'll pass without the advance working.

Comment

What is failing on the Chicom distributor? If it is the ICM, why not put a new one in there? I have always used higher end ones as they have more programing and last longer - they do cost a lot though.
                1981 Blazer (before there were mini-blazers) in progress - Gen VI 454 TBI/TH400/NP241 Dana 60/14 Bolt

When I die, I want to go out peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming my head off like the passengers in his car!

If you are a "Supertramp", wouldn't you give more than a little bit?

Comment

• Sockalaminski
                  Sockalaminski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya, it was the ICM. The one that came with it was bad from the start, so I put a used GM unit in. It ran good after that but it didn't last. With all the issues I had with this distro, I don't even want to mess with it anymore.

Ok, well I ended up installing a Duraspark II and vacuum advance distributor on this whore and got it running again three months ago. Was running hot and failed emissions. I brought it home and parked it. I gave it to my son last week. He asked what's wrong with it? I said start with a thermostat. The housing was clogged with what looked like coagulated anti-freeze. He replaced it and put in a new thermostat, replaced the battery and it flew through emissions. Done. I'm done with it. It's in his name now and I don't ever have to touch it again. Fuck Ford.

Comment

Working...
                X