84 cj7 350/th350/300

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 cj7 350/th350/300

Yep, I got a heep. I never thought in a million years I’d say I’m a Jeep owner but here I am, killing that shit. It came with a SBC 350, TH350 trans and has the 300 transfer case attached to the back of it. It needs work but it’s all there, besides the doors. No door for it. Let me show you what it is when I brought it home. Now keep this in mind, I got this thing for free. Yes, free. As in I didn’t pay a single cent for it.

It was sitting on jack stands, no top, no doors, no windshield frame and the front end was off if it. I half assed put it together just to be able to drag it home. It has good 35’’ tires, came with a whole set of patch panels for the exterior and also some Superlift 2.5” springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the front end back on to start with.

Put the dash back in.

Installed the rear tail lights but I didn’t like them.

So I cut a new hole and mounted these LEDs.

Still wasn’t doing it for me so I ordered a new set.

Comment

The CJ didn’t have a factory fuel tank, only a fuel cell.

Ordered a factory 15 gallon tank.

New tank straps, fill and vent line.

New cowl intake cover.

And new rear lift gate hinges. The liftgate is tweaked just a bit and one hinge is frozen but it moves. For $8 each, I’ll replace them.

Comment

The oil and trans fluid look great but the oil smells like old gas so that’s getting changed. Was gonna do it yesterday but I had other things going on. I pulled the plugs and scoped the cylinders. They look great with very little carbon on pistons and can still see the cross hatch on cylinders.

Also picked up this cover that fills the gap between the dash and the steering column.

Found out that the fuel tank mounts to the skid plate that I don’t have and the skid is what gets bolted to the crossmembers. So I ordered one along with a sending unit so those should be here this week. I’m gonna route the fuel filler and vent line to the drivers side and put my fuel cap there instead of having to fill the opposite side. I hate that. I have no mounts for the seats so I’m gonna scour the boneyard for them. As for doors, I’m picking them up 2mrw. I found a guy selling a ACME top with matching full doors. Suppose to be rare, I only needed the doors but he wouldn’t separate and his top looks a lot better than mine. Stuck with $16 in new hinges but oh well.

They are full fiberglass doors that are in perfect shape, is what he told me. I’ve never seen a Jeep with the window on the bottom of the door. Figured what the hell. I want this thing for my winter beater. And who knows, it may end up getting a plow pug on it.

Comment

At least it has a chebby 350 in it! A heep? ISMH

I can see you putting this together and selling it in no time as your next flip project...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Custom Signature Under Construction...

Comment

Originally posted by GobblerK5 View Post
            At least it has a chebby 350 in it! A heep? ISMH

I can see you putting this together and selling it in no time as your next flip project...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
            I have to use it for the winter. Truck is going under the knife to get some much needed body work, needs the trans installed and a new upper end (head work, grade C headgaskets and injectors).

Comment

You sir are a glutton for punishment. After the Bronco, I have vowed to never again have a carburated engine in any vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockalaminski View Post
                You sir are a glutton for punishment. After the Bronco, I have vowed to never again have a carburated engine in any vehicle.
                I know. I hate carbs. I thought about putting fuel injection on it but I just want it running. This carb has got to be gummed up, so I pulled it and said screw that thing. I’m not spending the time disassembling it, soaking it, cleaning it and then put it back together to only have it run like crap. I ordered a new one.

Speaking of fuel, I picked up a new mechanical fuel pump and removed the hack job of a fuel line that was on there. Started bending some 3/8 stainless and mounted the fuel tank.

Skid showed up along with the sending unit.

The fuel cell was mounted in the bed so there is this giant square hole cut out. I just ordered a new bed floor. This company called classic to current fabrication has some cheap sheet metal for this CJ.

Looking at how the floor is attached revealed that it’s spot welded to the wheel tubs. The rear of one of them needs to be patched and the front of the other. So yeah, for $30 a tub, they’re getting replaced too.

$18 for the rear floor behind the front seats. I ordered both. Gonna be a quick cut out rust and patch new metal in.

Comment

Now that tank was in, and fuel line starting to take shape I decided to get the engine ready to fire sooner than later. I put a new distributor in it with brass terminals and a high output coil. Then threw some wires on with thermal protectors to keep them from melting on the exhaust.

Then I pulled the valve covers and installed my tall Edelbrock cover that was on the Denali and put the fuel pump on.

As you can see, I pulled the flex fan and I’m changing the v-groove belts and pulleys to a serpentine setup that was on the K5 when I got it.

I brought the battery tray and supports to work to clean and paint them. I’ve been so busy at work I didn’t have time to mess with it so I looked up a new one and it was $38. Threw the rusty one in recycle dumpster. Then I ordered a fuel filter and put both on so I can get my lines measured and assembled.

And that’s pretty much all I’ve done. Falling asleep while typing this so I’m going to bed. I’ll try to get fuel line on this afternoon and take pics.

Comment

Daily driver winter beater turns into full blown project. I didn't see this coming at all........

Comment

I’ve been stretched thin as usual. Still trying to get little things done when time allows. Let’s see where I left off.

Don’t know if I mentioned it or not but that fuel filter head was suppose to come with 3/8 NPT ports but showed up with 1/4 NPT. 37/64 drill and 3/8 tap solved that issue.

My Greggo inspired OCD was tingling so I had to pull the wiring harness. This thing was hacked up and wires run all over the place so it’s getting cleaned up and reworked. Behind the dash was a complete disaster, engine wiring was spliced and unorganized along with little red zip ties all over it so I couldn’t leave it alone.

I also have a B&M ratchet shifter somewhere in my pile of parts that I have to source. Maybe even a custom center console will be in the works eventually. I just need to focus on getting it running and driving. You know, just a winter beater after all.

So I finally made a decision about the carb. After some research and watching many videos I ended up with a Holley Demon 625CFM carb. It’s simple, easily tuned and a leak proof design that steered me in this direction.

Once carb was on I ran down to local speed shop and grabbed a 9/16-24 to -6an carb fitting and put together the fuel line from filter to carb.

This morning after work I had a crew at the house finally putting the new roof on so I couldn’t sleep with all the noise so I decided to do a few more things.
                      First, I had to install a timing tab because I didn’t see one when I was putting distributor in. I just put it close to TDC based on where rotor was pointing and rocker arm position. After I got the tab put on I decided to swap out the accessory drive system for a serpentine system that I have from the K5’s original 350 engine. I found the drivers side PS and alternator bracket.

I pulled the PS pump and bracket and then the alternator bracket followed by the water pump. I’m gonna have to swap the water pump due to its rotation change going to the serp setup. After pump was off, look what I found.

It appears that the new tab is more accurate than the one on the timing cover. I won’t know for sure until I get a timing light on it. Couldn’t see that thing with everything on.

Moving forward I put the bracket on the engine. I’m not 100% sure which PS pump I’m going with. I might use a GM pump that I have for hydro boost. This thing has manual brakes so I may need to go to a better setup. I have options.

After installing a 105A alternator that I had in one of my piles I realized the t-stat housing needs to be changed. Upper hose was in the same Realestate that the alternator needed.

The battery terminal is pretty damn close to these tall valve covers but I think once there is a boot on the wire and terminal, it should be ok.

My new heater core showed up finally. And I heard something about a Blazer blower motor mod that is suppose to make a big difference in air volume out of box so I’m gonna look into that here shortly.

Electric fans on the way and I’ll get the harness done in the next day or two so I can have that back on and ready to fire this pig finally.

Comment

Working...
                      X